Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Interview with John Haymes Newton - San Francisco Examiner (1989).

San Francisco Examiner. Friday, August 18th, 1989. Interview by Matthew Blaising, Jana Quitoni, Jacquelyn Busone and Jeffrey Valez.

'SUPERBOY' STAR REVEALS HOW HE FLIES

NEWTON SAYS HE'S NOT THE VIOLENT TYPE



We interviewed 23-year-old John Haymes Newton, star of the syndicated TV show "Superboy" at the Parker Meridian Hotel in Manhattan recently. He was born and raised in North Carolina, and is the youngest of five kids.

Q: Where is 'Superboy' filmed?

A: At the new MGM Disney studios in Florida. We were the first TV show to be shot there.

Q: How were you selected for the part of 'Superboy'?

A: I was in North Carolina visiting my family and I went over to Wilmington, about three hours from my house to audition for a film there. The casting director screen tested me for 'Superboy' the next day. It was fate.

Q: Do you have any pets?

A: I have a couple of pet pythons. One is 4 feet long and another is 3 feet long.

Q: Does anyone every challenge you to a fight because of the role you play?

A: No. Not yet. I'm not a violent person so I don't get involved in fights. I used to do security work for companies that do films and television commercials and I had some confrontations then. The best way to handle them is just to talk your way out, because there are no winners in a fight.

Q: Do you want to continue your acting career and go into movies?

A: Yes. That's why I am in New York. I'm here auditioning for some parts. But, right now I want to make sure this series is a success.

Q: Are you in school?

A: No, but I study acting all the time. I don't think you can do both--go to school and act. I think that most id actors usually aren't involved in school as much as they should be. They have a tutor but they don't study as much as they should.

Q: Do you want to be an actor the rest of your life?

A: No. I want to be an actor as long as I continue to grow.

Q: Do you have hobbies?

A: Yes. I like computers a lot. I like to ride motorcycles. Now I am interested in comic books and I meditate twice a day. I do Karate. I've been doing it for four years.



Q: Do you like fishing?

A: I love fishing. I like to go deep sea fishing a lot.

Q: Do you ever think you will grow up to be Superman on the show?

A: No. Maybe a young Superman in a film. There's a strong possibility of that happening.

Q: How do they make you look like you're flying?

A: A couple of ways. We have a large crane with small wires that I wear on a harness. We do it in front of a blue screen and matte that has a background of cars of buildings.

Q: Does it take a long time to get into makeup?

A: Usually about 25 minutes.

Q: What commercials have you done?

A: I did Levi's 501 jeans, Norwegian Cruise Line and a national print campaign for Coca Cola.

Q: Do you think you are making enough money?

A: Next season I will be making enough money. This season I feel I am worth a little more money than what they are paying me.

Q: Do you do your own stunts?

A: Most of them. I do my own flying and fighting.

Q: What type of car do you like?

A: I like the 1957 Thunderbird.

Q: Do you have to work out for the show? Are you on a special diet?

A: I work out and I have my own diet. I don't ear red meat. I eat a lot of vegetables and complex carbohydrates like pasta. I eat a lot of tofu, no deep fried foods.

Q: Do you ever watch the old 'Superman' TV show or movies?

A: I read the comics.

Q: Do you ever get nervous?

A: Of course. If you are not nervous than you know something is wrong. All actors get nervous whether they admit it or not.

Q: Why did you become an actor?

A: It's a need you have. You don't get into the business to become rich or because you think it is glamourous. Most people don't make enough to live on.

Q: Have you eveer starred in any other shows?

A: I have had leads in a couple of plays here in New York.

Q: Where were you born?

A: In Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Q: What is it like knowing that a lot of people like you?

A: I think some people like the character, but it doesn't mean they like me. It's two different things.

Q: What is it like being Superboy?

A: It's a responsibility, but it's also fun and a lot of hard work.

Q: How long does it take to film one show?

A: About six to seven days.

To contact John (NOTE: This contact information may not be correct today), write to Gersh Agency, c/o John Newton, 130 West 42nd St., New York, N.Y., 10036

No comments:

Post a Comment